On Apr 18, 2007, at 10:42 AM, Thomas Kelly wrote:

Is it actually possible for a person to produce 99+% pure ethanol using readily available materials, and at reasonable cost, or must it be produced on an industrial scale? Are any of you making it "in
your backyard"?

I have actually made it (in the garage, not the backyard:-)) from white sugar and a bag of TurboYeast from Gert Strand (sp?), then distilled it and dried it with zeolite, and then used it for biodiesel. It's a PITA, but possible. The EROI could be favorable if you started with the right crop, kept your enzymes and yeast going like a sourdough starter or made your own malt from scratch, and did your distillation in a solar still. I'll try all that if I ever finish this $%&[EMAIL PROTECTED] strawbale house. 'Till then I'm back to petrodiesel
or methyl esters  :-(

-K