On Apr 20, 2007, at 7:19 AM, Thomas Kelly wrote:

> Can I bypass sprouting by using enzymes (bacterial amylase) on cracked
> grain to break the starch in grain into simple (fermentable) sugars?
> Somewhere down the line, if all goes well, I will probably move
> towards
> other feedstocks that are rich in starch, and releasing the stored
> sugars by
> sprouting will not be an option

You can use commercially extracted enzymes instead of malt, but why?
Mashing of grains doesn't require malting the primary grain -- good
example
is corn mash whiskey, in which the starch of maize is saccharified
using the
malt of barley. Only small amounts of barley malt (or wheat malt) are
needed
to mash large amounts of starch (which can come from any source).

-K