On Apr 21, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Thomas Kelly wrote:

> Why buy enzymes, when sprouting some grain produces the
> enzymes needed to digest starch in unsprouted grains, sweet
> potatoes, or Jerusalem artichokes.
> Have I got it right?

Yup, at least that's how i see it. Traditionally the sprouted grain
is roasted slightly (ie, dried) to prevent further decomposition
(lightly enough as not to destroy the enzymes). The result is
what's known as "malt". If you have a homebrew shop nearby,
you can buy malt already made and ground. I suppose if you
used freshly sprouted grain quickly, you could even dispense
with the drying step.

-K