From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
robert and benita
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2008 9:04 AM
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Vaporized gasoline engines work as proven
totheworldby Shell Oil Company in 1973

Mike Pelly wrote:

>Why does a gallon of liquid propane need to be pressurized at 172 PSI
>to stay contained in liquid form and gasoline stays liquid at room
temperature?

    Those are its physical properties.  Asking this question with respect to
internal combustion is a bit like asking why ice floats.
It's a matter of density at pressure and temperature.

>I use the example of propane to illustrate how a vapor mixes so
>completely with air (unlike a sprayed liquid) There are many reasons
>why propane and gasoline are different including their densities and
>length of carbon chains.

    Despite propane being a vapor at atmospheric pressure and ambient
temperatures, there is still a finite amount of energy available in a given
volume of liquid propane.  It has a LOWER energy density than gasoline,
hence, even though it's a vapor and mixes completely with air, propane
delivers less energy per liter than gasoline.  In fact, because gaseous
fuels in general actually displace air in externally-mixed fuel management
systems, propane normally delivers about 10% LESS power than gasoline.

    I'm writing this from many years of actual experience in burning propane
as an automobile fuel.  I've built engines for propane, too, and by virtue
of squeezing the intake charge harder (higher compression
pressure) I managed to equalize fuel economy between gasoline and propane in
my old Pontiac sedan.  The same technique can be used in ANY high octane
fuel, though.  Methane, ethanol, methanol also benefit from increased
compression pressure.  It has nothing to do with vaporized fuel, and the
improvements are incremental, at best.

    We've been around this tree before.  You vanish for awhile, then come
back with the same claims for astonishing fuel efficiency based on vaporized
gasoline, but you seem to lack understanding of how high pressure,
computer-feedback fuel injection works.  Internal combustion is a complex,
dynamic process for certain, but at the end of all the analysis, there is
very little energy remaining in the exhaust gases of a modern engine.

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
"The Long Journey"
New Adventure for Your Mind