Hmmmm... while DU may be dangerous, this article doesn't help much with the
way it's written - poor use of statistics, no references to support its
claims.  It's exactly this kind of shoddy work that causes the raising of
the skeptical eyebrow at those who're fighting against things like DU.  This
is a real pity because I think it hampers what might otherwise be a really
good cause.

DU contains approximately 1/3 the amount of U235, one isotope, not of all
the isotopes.  If it were 1/3 of the isotopes what would the other 2/3 be?

>From what I've read, inhaled or ingested DU particles are not known to be
particularly dangerous and the radioactive material is relatively quickly
excreted, though inhalation is worse than ingestion.  Naturally, greater
quantities pose a greater threat, but what quantities?  One mitigating
factor is that the long half life means relatively low radioactivity, but
more research is clearly necessary.

I couldn't find anything about the UN declaring DU a weapon of mass
destruction, but perhaps further searching will reveal the resolution.

The UK AEA estimated 500k deaths by 2000... did the deaths occur?  Without
providing the information as to how many deaths have actually been linked to
the DU used in the area the comparison to Hiroshima and Nagasaki is
meaningless.

I'm not even sure what the quote from the nuclear scientist means.  What
does it mean to say the radiation has been released?  Was that actual
radiation released when the ammunition impacted with a target?  Is it total
available radiation in the DU used to date?

The comment about Iraq being radioactive forever is a bit disingenuous since
pretty much everywhere is radioactive all the time, it's a question of
degree.  How much residual radioactivity from the material left behind is
there above the normal background?  How widespread is it, actually?  How
much of the radioactive material can get into the water and food?

35% of the veterans from the Gulf War may be dead or on permanent medical
disability, but how many of those are due to DU?  Has it been confirmed that
the rise in birth defects has no other cause?

Again, I'm not saying that none of these things are true and I'm certainly
not saying that DU is not dangerous.  I did a little work with radioactive
materials at university and I have a fair idea of how dangerous they can be
and no radioactive material is to be taken lightly, regardless of the
ubiquity.  I'm certainly no fan of DU being used in weapons.  However, when
I read an article that is written with this sort of quality I find it
encouraging me to ignore it because the author has made a number of
allegations and has written in such a way as to make it appear as if an
argument is being made where, upon inspection, it turns out that no actual
supporting evidence is supplied to justify the conclusion.

Cheers
Craig