From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Chip Mefford
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:32 PM
To: sustainablelorgbiofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Depleted Uranium Shells Used by U.S. Military Worse
Than Nuclear Weapons

Chip Mefford wrote:
> Craig Barrett wrote:
>> Hmmmm... while DU may be dangerous, this article doesn't help much with
the
>> way it's written - poor use of statistics, no references to support its
>> claims.  It's exactly this kind of shoddy work that causes the raising of
>> the skeptical eyebrow at those who're fighting against things like DU.
This
>> is a real pity because I think it hampers what might otherwise be a
really
>> good cause.
>
> Wholly agreed.

 >SNIP

I kinda want to change my language, but it's already posted, so I'll
just add my after-thoughts.

Point, my use of 'non-issue' just doesn't feel right. But it really
does seem that the who has really played this down.

Point. I agree with the basic premise of the original article.
However, this statement "The genetic future of the Iraqi people, for the
most part, is destroyed. The environment now is completely radioactive."
I've read before, elsewhere, I can't substantiate it.
Against the background radiation of other areas in the region, yeah,
it's up a bit. And it's my feeling/opinion, that a 'bit' is a huge
amount, but with what passes for 'expertise' in these areas, folks
seem to think that's okay, when going for health expert citations.
See the who report I linked earlier.

yes, I think that service folks are paying a terrible price, and the
people of the area we all call Irag are paying a staggeringly price
orders of magnitude above.

This is all happening whether there is 'consensus' by us or not.
Uranium is just fine, left in the ground, in it's natural state,
unrefined, and not touched, the way it should be. Doing anything
else with it, is just insane. That's my take.

Proving that, otoh, has proven to be pretty difficult.

messages):