Hi Chip

>Keith Addison wrote:
>>  http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=552
>>
>>  Seedling  > July 2008
>>
>>  The food emergency and food myths
>>
>>  Why Bush is wrong to blame Indians for the rise in food prices
>>
>>  Vandana Shiva *
>
>I really enjoy Vandana Shiva's input. It's clueful and very well
>thought out.

Yes, isn't it. She's good value, always worth the read.

>That said;
>
>  >SNIP
>>  agribusiness in the current food crisis, both through speculation and
>  > through the hijacking of food into biofuels,
>
>I keep hearing about this 'hijacking of food into biofuels' argument.
>
>Anyone have the numbers to back this up?

Some. At the UN food summit in Rome last month:

Ed Schafer, the US agriculture secretary, said the production of
biofuels contributed less than 3% to the recent rapid rises in food
prices but that assertion clashed with estimates by the International
Monetary Fund, that they are responsible for 20-30% of the price
rises.

A FAO document distributed yesterday said: "Biofuels accounted for
59% of the increase in global use of coarse grains and wheat between
2005-2007, and 56% of the increase in vegetable oils."

-- "US attacked at food summit over biofuels - Corn ethanol
production blamed for price rises - American delegation rejects link
by UN official," The Guardian, Rome, June 4, 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/04/biofuels.food

The American agriculture secretary, Ed Schafer, has told American
reporters that increasing the production of corn ethanol is "the
right policy direction". Corn prices rose on the world markets
throughout the last hours of the summit.
-- "Food summit fails to agree on biofuels," The Guardian, Rome, June 6, 2008
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/06/food.biofuels

Biofuels are responsible for 30 percent of the increase in global
food prices, pushing 30 million people worldwide into poverty, aid
agency Oxfam said in a report on Wednesday.
-- "Oxfam says biofuels pushing 30 million into poverty," Reuters, Jun 25, 2008
http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSL2432915720080625

 From the Oxfam report: "Another Inconvenient Truth - How biofuel
policies are deepening poverty and accelerating climate change," 25
June 2008
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/bp114_inconvenient_truth.html
Download the full report (58-page pdf)
<http://oxfam.intelli-direct.com/e/d.dll?m=234&url=http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/downloads/bp114_inconvenient_truth.pdf>

Oxfam estimates that the livelihoods of at least 290 million people
are immediately threatened by the food crisis, and the Bank estimates
that 100 million people have already fallen into poverty as a result.
Thirty per cent of price increases are attributable to biofuels,
suggesting biofuels have endangered the livelihoods of nearly 100
million people and dragged over 30 million into poverty.

The IMF estimates that last year they accounted for almost half of
the increase in demand for major food crops. (IMF World Economic
Outlook, April 2008)

The OECD has estimated that between 2005 and 2007, almost 60 per cent
of the increase in consumption of cereals and vegetable oils was due
to biofuels. ('Rising Food Prices: Causes and Consequences', OECD,
paper prepared for the DAC High Level Meeting, 20-21 May 2008.)

Commentary by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) suggests
biofuels may explain 10 per cent of recent food price rises.

The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) estimates
that biofuels explain 30 per cent of food price rises, an estimate
corroborated by the IMF.

(For IFPRI commentary, see
www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/feb/26/food.unitednations. Also
see IFPRI (2008) 'Biofuels and Grain Prices: Impacts and Policy
biofuels account for '20-30 per cent' of price rises on The Today
Programme, BBC Radio 4, 14 April 2008. For FAO commentary, see:
www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a503b8ce- 131a-11dd-8d91-0000779fd2ac.html)

Research from the World Bank puts the contribution of biofuels even
higher, at 65 per cent. (D. Mitchell (2008) 'A Note on Rising Food
Prices', World Bank, cited in 'Soaring Food Prices: Facts,
Perspectives, Impacts and Actions Required', FAO, 2008.)

World Bank analysis estimates that recent price rises have led to an
increase in global poverty of 105 million people. (Above)

Oxfam estimates that the livelihoods of at least 290 million people
worldwide are now endangered, necessitating $14.5bn in immediate
assistance - the same as rich countries are estimated to have spent
on support to biofuels last year. (A. Fraser and F. Mousseau (2008)
'The Time is Now: How World Leaders Should Respond to the Food Price
Crisis', Oxfam Briefing Note.)

If recent food price inflation - of which IFPRI estimates 30 per cent
is attributable to biofuels - is responsible for an increase in the
poverty headcount of 100 million and endangering the livelihoods of
nearly 300 million, then biofuels may already be responsible for
dragging over 30 million people into poverty and similarly
endangering the livelihoods of nearly 100 million.73

By some estimates, the current biofuels rush, if it continues as
forecast, could result in an extra 600 million hungry people by 2025
(calculated as 30 per cent of the increase in poverty headcount and
endangered livelihoods) - 16 million extra for each percentage point
increase in food prices until then.

--------

Worth a read.

>The increased 'demand' for ethanol in the US, is at least partially
>due to the gigantic surpluses of 'feed corn' over the last decade.
>That corn is only food in an abstract sense, it's mostly all starch,
>not edible directly. I'm sure this year the corn yields will be down,
>no doubt. But somehow, I don't see the correlation.

If there is a correlation. Food & Water Watch did a study last year
which found that in real terms the price of corn in 2006 was only
half the 1980 price, because of a shift in U.S. farm policy to
promoting overproduction of commodities. See "Retail Realities: Corn
Prices Do Not Drive Grocery Inflation", September 2007.
<http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/agricultural-policy/us-farmbill/retail-realities>

But with hedge funds dumping hundreds of billions of dollars on the
commodities futures markets in the last couple of years the whole
thing has lost touch with any kind of reality such as production or
supply and demand. Current prices are being set by gambling on
futures, which forces prices up, attracting more money, which forces
it up further, dragging real-world prices along behind. The tail's
wagging the dog. It's effectively unregulated, tax-free, and
virtually guaranteed to make a profit.

I also think corn yields will be down this year, whether for good
reasons or bad ones.

Best

Keith