In David Blume's book:  "Alcohol can be a gas" are listed several facts
regarding corn as a food.

In summary, it goes like this.  (I have always found this book to be factually
accurate, and I have tried to find irregularities).

1.  10 lbs of corn makes about one-half gallon ethanol and 3 lbs of DDGS (Dried
Distiller's Grain plus Solubles).

2.  3 lbs of DDGS makes about....one pound of beef

2.  10 lbs of corn, fed to cows, makes about one pound of beef.(No difference
from #2 above, in other words, pulling the carbohydrates out of corn prior to
feeding to cows does not affect its usefulness as a cow feed)

3.  80% of corn grown in the US is fed to cows, 10% is exported, 10% is human
consumed (2002 numbers). (Probably more is fed to cows  because the exported
corn is, you guessed it, fed to cows).

So, in summary, first pulling ethanol out of corn, then feeding the by-product
to cows does not alter the amount of beef produced.  There is one issue that
does need discussion:
  http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_11175.cfm
The above URL references an article that indicates DDGS is not sanitary, and
its use is promoting E.Coli in beef.  If that is true, it seems easily remedied
by more sanitary DDGS handling practices.

Anyway, back to the main arguement:  ALL corn should first be refined to
ethanol, that way we can harvest the ethanol, which will lower the price of
fuel worldwide by increasing supply.  This will help lower food prices by
lowering the energy costs of food production.

Kurt