Lots of stuff snipped, my only comment inline below
(leaving thread intact, because it's a very good thread)

Keith Addison wrote:
| Hi Chip
|
|> Keith Addison wrote:
|>>  http://www.grain.org/seedling/?id=552
|>>
|>>  Seedling  > July 2008
|>>
|>>  The food emergency and food myths
|>>
|>>  Why Bush is wrong to blame Indians for the rise in food prices
|>>
|>>  Vandana Shiva *
|> I really enjoy Vandana Shiva's input. It's clueful and very well
|> thought out.
|
| Yes, isn't it. She's good value, always worth the read.
|
|> That said;
|>
|>  >SNIP
|>>  agribusiness in the current food crisis, both through speculation and
|>  > through the hijacking of food into biofuels,
|>
|> I keep hearing about this 'hijacking of food into biofuels' argument.
|>
|> Anyone have the numbers to back this up?
|
| Some. At the UN food summit in Rome last month:
|
| Ed Schafer, the US agriculture secretary, said the production of
| biofuels contributed less than 3% to the recent rapid rises in food
| prices but that assertion clashed with estimates by the International
| Monetary Fund, that they are responsible for 20-30% of the price
| rises.
|
| A FAO document distributed yesterday said: "Biofuels accounted for
| 59% of the increase in global use of coarse grains and wheat between
| 2005-2007, and 56% of the increase in vegetable oils."

I am having a really hard time buying this (pun intended)

Unless so-called 'food' is being diverted to biofuel production
along the lines of 59%, I just don't see how this can be so,
in the misapprehended context of 'market demand' aka,
supply and demand.

| -- "US attacked at food summit over biofuels - Corn ethanol
| production blamed for price rises - American delegation rejects link
| by UN official," The Guardian, Rome, June 4, 2008
| http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/04/biofuels.food

What percentage of corn (that weird yellow #2 frankencorn stuff)
is being 'diverted' to ethanol production?

I know that the 'American delegation' really isn't exactly a
great go-to place for solid un-molested empirical data, however,
, ,

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/bp114_inconvenient_truth.html

<http://oxfam.intelli-direct.com/e/d.dll?m=234&url=http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/downloads/bp114_inconvenient_truth.pdf>

| Oxfam estimates that the livelihoods of at least 290 million people
| are immediately threatened by the food crisis, and the Bank estimates
| that 100 million people have already fallen into poverty as a result.
| Thirty per cent of price increases are attributable to biofuels,
| suggesting biofuels have endangered the livelihoods of nearly 100
| million people and dragged over 30 million into poverty.

Okay, I don't doubt the numbers here. But I'm still having a difficult
time seeing a correlation between non-food corn overproduction,
and global food prices.

<http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/food/agricultural-policy/us-farmbill/retail-realities>

| But with hedge funds dumping hundreds of billions of dollars on the
| commodities futures markets in the last couple of years the whole
| thing has lost touch with any kind of reality such as production or
| supply and demand. Current prices are being set by gambling on
| futures, which forces prices up, attracting more money, which forces
| it up further, dragging real-world prices along behind. The tail's
| wagging the dog. It's effectively unregulated, tax-free, and
| virtually guaranteed to make a profit.

Now here I think is a point that -in my considered opinion- gets
a lot closer to the heart of the matter.

| I also think corn yields will be down this year, whether for good
| reasons or bad ones.

Yup. count on it.

But someone help me out here, what salient point is it that I am missing?

| Best
|
| Keith
- --
Chip Mefford