On 15/05/2011 8:27 PM, robert and benita rabello wrote:
>       Ok.  I'll concede that I'm more pessimistic about humanity.  We
> could argue that you'd remain more "optimistic" in contrast, but that's
> really not the point of this discussion.  Is our intelligence
> responsible for the environmental mess we're in?  If the scale of human
> activity has pushed us to a breaking point, I don't see that brainpower
> necessarily equates to a "lethal mutation."  Those who survive whatever
> fate awaits us will be those who can adapt most readily, and without
> intelligence, it's hard to imagine how that can happen.

Hi Robert;

I really agree with you about adaptability being key to survival but
totally disagree that intelligence correlates with enhanced
adaptability.  The most adaptable life forms on the planet are bacteria.
They can mutate in hours and learn to live in an environment that was
very toxic to their ancestors. The medical mafia are delighted of course
that they can barely keep ahead of the survival drive of deadly
pathogens.  They mutate into antibiotic resistant strains very quickly
which allows the pharmaceutical giants the license to unleash more
dangerous (and expensive) drugs on us every time you turn around. This
of course just undescores the point made by Chip about yeast in a petri
dish a few posts back.

Joe