Alot of good suggestions here guys but the bottom line is this...

I'm very fluent in C/C++ so I'm more comfortable doing something
overkill but fast than learning something new. I can't take the risk
in investing my limited amount of time to learning something new
unless i was sure that it would be a time saver. I'd prefer to stick
with something that i can judge the required amount of effort with.

Now some more about my project....All i really want is a command line
program that reads in a CSV excel file and spits out a SVG graphics
file. It doesn't need to display it or anything. I plan on taking the
SVG and opening it in Visio or converting it to a PDF or displaying
it on a website. Very basic stuff. The kinds of things i need to draw
are basic as well. It's all black and white with nothing more than
lines, boxes and text. It's just a wiring schematic. I know visio can
open this kind of stuff to view it.

I realize that i can just spit out plain text with fprintf but to do
so would require a pretty good knowledge of xml which i don't have. I
know a lot of you right now are either laughing or offended that i
chose to use XML with this project but i just figured that with the
right API, i wouldn't need to learn much XML...I could just tell the
API to export one of the primitives that i need and be done with it.
If nothing like this exists than i guess i'm going to have to do some
reading.

Thanks,
Chris

--- In svg-developers@yahoogroups.com, "r_v_putten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had sent a message 90 minutes ago, but used a wrong mail address
so
> it probably got rejected... I'll just copy it here.
>
> One note: Mark might be right about database+xslt+whatever being
> simpler (I haven't used xslt yet), but as a proficient C/C++
> programmer who is used to working with flat ascii files, this might
> get you to the point in a shorter time, because you don't have to
> learn a new concept. If you knew you had to work on the project for
> the next 4 years, my suggestion is xslt/whatever, for a project in a
> very short time, it's C++.
>
> And now the old message:
>
> Hello Chris,
>
> > I'm new to SVG. I've never used it before but i want to use it to
> generate images that can be used in Visio (which can open SVG),
> possibly convert to PDF and also view on the web. The images will be
> generated by a program i want to write which will interpret some
data
> in a database.
>
> My first suggestion is to check if Visio really can open all of SVG.
> SVG is a really complex thing, so if you take one program that
outputs
> SVG, I don't think another program that inputs SVG can necessarily
> understand everything correctly.
>
> > Basically i'm making schematics for a wiring diagram and i will
have
> connector types saved in a database as well as to/from pin routings.
> From this data i want to generate the schematic using SVG.
> >
> > I'm proficient in C/C++ but i'm not sure where to begin. Is there
an
> SVG SDK for C/C++ out there somewhere?
>
> I'm a C/C++ programmer too, and if I had to do such a thing today, I
> would probable just output text files from my program. That way you
> can control what's in the SVG and that Visio will understand it. An
> XML library might be of help, but it shouldn't even be necessary. I
> think I'd chose fprintf().
>
> My suggestion would be to read a book about SVG and then use it like
> an operating systems drawing functions. Lines and rects are no
problem
> at all, transformations and scaling is easy if you extensively used
> graphics lib before. Reusing parts of the graphic with <defs /> and
> <use /> will come in quite handy. There are many more things that
SVG
> can do but you will probably not need them.
>
> Just two cents from an advanced SVG beginner.
>
> Raoul

href="http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12h92nojk/M=362131.6882499.7825260.1510227/D=groups/S=1706030389:TM/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1123014270/A=2889191/R=0/SIG=10r90krvo/*http://www.thebeehive.org
">Get Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job) Welcome to the Sweet Life
- brought to you by One Economy</a>.</font>