On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Pedro Quaresma wrote:
> Jim Leonard wrote:
[I think there's a missing set of ">"'s here]
> > But there are 10 better RPGs than those, at least in my opinion. I really
> > disliked Wasteland's save system, and Fallout is finisheable in less than a
>
> >Wasteland's save system was a limitation of the technology of the time. They
> >saved state by "patching" the map on disk in realtime when moving between
> >areas.  Besides, I think it gave the game a sense of seriousness and
> urgency --
> >there's no restoring when an NPC dies, for example.
>
> I don't necessarily think that's a good idea. You may call it challenging,
> but I call it annoying... reminds me of the strange Blade of Destiny save
> system: if you saved outside of a temple, each char'd lose 50 xp

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about -- if someone dies, just quit
right away.  Only if you switch maps is the game actually saved.
Wasteland is therefore effectively no different from lots of other old
games, where you just quickly powered down, reset, or backed up
disks/files (on an IBM, you back up the files GAME1 and GAME2; easy with a
batch file) if something went seriously awry.

This is discussed a bit in the manual, too.

> > 10 great RPGs better than those two... Ultima 4, 6 and 7, Betrayal in
> > Krondor, Darklands, Magic Candle 1, Wizardry 6, Starflight.... hmmmm...
> > Ultima Underworld 1 and 2! ;)
>
> >Krondor had bad voice acting, but I'll give it another shot.  The endless
> >wandering in a sparse landscape was a neat idea but got tedious...  I'll
> give
> >it another try.
>
> It's a great plot, by Raymond Feist. I played the floppy version, so I
> don't even know how good/bad the voice acting is. The game is very "free",
> so if you don't want to go to your main objective right away, by all means,
> it's possible take a tour around the land of Midkemia, finding new things
> each chapter.

Feist didn't write the plot of BaK.  I think this is a good thing;
professional authors who get too involved in a game have a strong tendency
to screw it up, IMO.  I think Bureaucracy is a good example of this:
strong writing, but weak gameplay.  Oh, and Feist had a strong hand in the
making of Return to Krondor.

[look!  actual collecting conversation!]
> >Good justifications, thank you!  I will buy them today (although finding a
> >complete Daggerfall might be tough).
>
> My pleasure :) Be sure you actually buy Daggerfall and not the "Daggerfall
> Interactive Preview", as I think the boxes are quite alike.

Daggerfall proper was, until recently, trivial to find unopened.  It was a
regular in the $5 bin in many stores.  Now enough time has passed, and
enough people consider it a masterpiece, that the price has gone up
somewhat, but it's still not especially valuable or hard to find.

If you want a complete limited edition (not sure exactly what this is
called offhand; if it's like ES:Arena it's the "Deluxe Edition"), *then*
you should plan for a long hard search.  (How hard is this one to get
now?)

-- Stephen