Jim Leonard boldly stated:

>No, I think you're right.  I actually heard of double-hi-res as early as
>1983, but nobody was willing to use it back then because not every Apple
>had 128K of RAM (if memory serves, was a requirement for double-hi-res.)

I believe you are correct.  IIRC, my family's //e only had 64K when we
bought it, but we expanded it later.  No telling how much memory it
had by the time my father finally replaced it with a Power Mac (less
than ten years ago).

>Holy crap, I just learned there were TONS of high-res games!  I just
>found this nugget at
>http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/apple2/faq/part11.html :
>
>Below is a listing of Apple II games which are entirely or mainly in
>double-hires.

Holy crap, indeed!

>Battle Chess

Didn't know this made it to the Apple.

>Empire

Empire???  What'd they do, re-release it?

>Maniac Mansion

D'oh, and I had this game back in the day!  I should have remembered
that.

>Qix

Qix?  Except for the Qix itself, the arcade game only used about four
colors.  Why use double hi-res?

>Spy vs Spy III

I didn't know there was a III.  I bought the first two.

>Star Trek: First Contact

They were still making Apple II games then?!?

>Wow, shows what we know!  :-)  I'm going to have to try some of these
>out now.

Ditto!  Thanks for the list.

--
Lee K. Seitz  *  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  *  http://home.hiwaay.net/~lkseitz/