Hugh,
I understand your point of view, but I merely wanted to state mine. This
argument isn't indeed about stepping on toes or hurting friends, because we
don't do that to each other (stepping on toes may happen accidentaly, but
that's it), but about saving each other serious cash.

I'd like to restate that I really don't believe the "potential for
bluffing" you mentioned is possible between list members. We're like a very
close family! ;)

In conclusion: I still like the "reserving" idea, whether by warning others
or by placing a low bid. If you hadn't seen it before, it should be mine.
If you had, we both run for it: that's the Way of the Collector! (tm) ;)

All the best,
Pedro R. Quaresma

[EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

          "Hugh Falk"

          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

          24-10-2001 16:52

          Solicita-se resposta a

          swcollect                      Para: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                                          A/C:

                                          Ref:

                                          cc:

                                        Assunto: RE: [SWCollect] Sniping

Pedro,

This is going to come across as harsh, but please don't take it that way.
I'm not angry and I don't harbor any bad feelings about you, but this is
the
plain facts:

This argument is not about stepping on "friends" toes or hurting feelings.
This argument is about saving money.  Your whole reason for bringing up
this
idea of reserving a lot is so it can save you money...or in the case of our
example, it would have saved me money.

I've lost sniping battles with Chris in the past, and there were no hurt
feelings.  He was willing to pay more...he deserved it.  It is the same
concept you propose except that instead of negotiating via e-mail (with
potential for bluffing), we negotiated instantly with our bids.  Whoever
wants it more gets it for the price they were REALLY willing to pay.  If
you
weren't REALLY willing to pay it, don't say that you are.

The main problem with your proposal is that it only punishes the people
that
you know...your "friends."  They have to back off (not able to offer what
they really want to pay for it).  But all of the people that you don't know
still get to bid.  Your method for saving money is flawed because you can't
possibly know all the players involved.  There is a chance that it will
work
if the person you contact is the only other interested party.  But there is
also greater probability that your method will have no effect, or even
worse, may cause hurt feelings because you excluded somebody you know and
you didn't even win it yourself.  It is not worth the risk or effort.  Just
bid what you're willing to pay, and it will all work out.

Hugh