Pedro,

I don't know why you consider sniping "backstabbing" (see your previous
e-mail).  It is the most truthful method of bidding there can be.  You bid
what you want to pay...period.  It is up front with no devious, hidden
intentions.

Talk about backstabbing...that's exactly what you're proposing below.
You're suggesting that Chris and I get into a private bidding war through
e-mail.  This becomes a huge game of poker.  I say I'm willing to pay
$200...but am I really?  Or am I really just willing to pay $90 and want
Chris to drop out?  If I'm willing to pay $200, I should bid $200 (by
sniping or beforehand).  That is the fair, up-front way to do it.  Put your
money where your mouth is.  Otherwise, it opens the door to deception and
bluffing.  Also, it is a lot of wasted time between Chris and I haggling
when somebody else could come in and bid $300.  If I back off a game, and it
is won by some third party, I'll be seriously upset.

You're under some misconception that seeing an ad on eBay entitles you to
it, when in reality there are hundreds of other people out there (that you
may or may not know) who have also seen it and have the same rights as you.
If you want it, put your maximum bid and walk away.  Wait until after it has
sold to discuss it with others.  Otherwise, we'll all just look for new
listings the second they come out and send an e-mail to this group..."mine."
Even then, some third party not-in the group could likely win it, and you
would be depriving the rest from making bids.

Hugh