> The other difficulty with price guides is that they don't reflect
> regional (or national) variations in prices.  One price does *not* fit
> all.

With CGC, I don't plan on representing an "exact" value, which is why I use
the range approach. (I.E. $20 - $40)

> Also, I would second your comments on buyers determining the values of
> their games.  Most people look at the high end prices if there is a
> price guide and assume that is the going rate for whatever they have.
> They 'bond' with that price and tend to be unhappy if their stuff
> doesn't fetch that amount.

Wether there is a price guide price or not, people have an idea about what a
game is worth.

> If someone was going to keep a price guide I'd like to be able to see
> the data behind it.  Knowing how many data points make up that price
> (and who the buyer was) is crucial.  I personally wouldn't accept any
> number as reliable until it was backed up by at least a 100
> sales/auctions over the course of a couple of years.  For example, one
> shrinkwrapped Apple II Starcross saucer driven up to $2,000 in an
> auction isn't a number with any relevance to long term collectibility.

There are too many variables with sales/auctions; for instance, a poorly
presented auctions might fetch a low-ball amount for a certain game and
bring down the average, and over the course of 2 years the value would in
part represent how many times the item was poorly and well presented in a
sense.  This is of course, assuming a fleet of people could be assembled to
watch Ebay for years and build the initial price guide.  Not gonna happen.

So does everyone think I should pull the "mint sealed" price column from
CGC?  It was never meant to be controversal, twas merely a 'fun' guideline
if that, to promote the fact that old games are worth money and to encourage
growth.  I'll pull it if everyone wants it gone though.