RE:

#1.  Actually Spacewar was the first computer game...and it was an action game.  But
yes, computer adventure came before computer RPG.  I'm not sure that is of any
significance; however, since several other genres (besides action and strategy) also
came after Adventure.

#2.  Fantasy is not a computer-game-genre-specific characteristic.  Adventures can be
fantasy, sci-fi, noir, reality-based, etc.  Same with RPGs.

The real differentiator between video game genres should be the essence of what makes
it a fun game:

- For an Adventure game, it is problem/puzzle solving.  I contend that Adventure games
are a sub-genre of puzzle games.  Without problem/puzzle solving in an adventure game,
you would have no game.  You would have a story (even if that was fun, it wouldn't be
a game).

- For RPGs, it is character growth and item gathering.  This makes it distinct and not
a sub-genre.  A game can have this as its only focus and be fun.  See Telengard,
Rogue, Temple of Apshai, NetHack, etc.

Hugh