On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 06:14  PM, Jim Leonard wrote:

Edward Franks wrote:

1. Adventure was the first computer game, yes?
Nope. :) Space War was (circa 1960). MIT students meet the PDP-1
and the cathode-ray tube.
I meant PERSONAL computer. Adventure was playable on CPM machines if memory
serves; it was certainly the first game I ever played (on an Osborne) in 1979.
There was also a CP/M game called Ladder (platform jumping). If you include any BASIC games (Star Trek, Wumpus, etc.), then it would be difficult determining just what the first game was. The first commercial game would probably easier to figure out.

BTW, it is 90% certain RPG will join the main list of genres at MobyGames, so
I thank all of you for taking time to illustrate your viewpoints.
	Cool.  :-D

(But I am not budging on King's Quest being primarily IF+G, because honestly
that is what it is. The input is all text (moving your character can be done
with joystick but that is all a joystick can do in that game) and the output
is text and graphics, so that pretty much clinches it.)
I'm not fussed either way when it comes to King's Quest.

--

Edward Franks