On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 09:23 AM, Stefan Lindblom wrote:

Ahoy mates!

Just curious about a certain trader on Ebay who seems to be alot into vintage games, with over a 1000 feedbacks. The traders Ebay name and mailadress is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

And I was just wondering if any of you have had any experiences with him/her/them.. and if so, what they are? The reason I ask.. well, I won a few of their auctions, including a high prized SSI one. I was outbid on one however, but was approached later by them asking if I wanted to pay my highest bid for another copy they had. My highest bid was more than double the listed starting price so I asked if we could come an agreement with would mean a 7$(from 32$ to 25$) cut in my offer. Listing price was 15$ so I thought that was a fair offer. No risks for them, no time waiting, and no ebay fees.
I got a very short and rude reply.

Surely more than one of you guys have dealt with them before.. what have your experiences been?

I've dealt with them (Software and More) on eBay and before that on their (very basic) website <http://members.aol.com/swmoretp/AP.html>. I've never had a complaint or a problem with them. However, they do know that their stuff is worth some money so I imagine cutting a deal with them isn't an option.

Also, as a psychological matter, when a buyer has indicated how high they would go with a bid it becomes very difficult to retreat from that monetary amount. I've personally only been able to do it once (IIRC) and that was in eBay's early days. The seller has the advantage over the buyer in this situation. There is just no incentive for the seller to retreat from that high bid -- the buyer has gone so far as to place a bid for that amount! The whole 'can I get more money now or later?' line of thought seems to just go down the drain, which kind of screws the buyer looking for an after-auction deal.

I'd basically just let the whole thing go just as you would for a lost auction. It gets too easy to get yourself upset at the situation and/or seller when you'll probably want to buy something from them in the future. (Being in California they seem to get a small, but steady supply of some rare items.)

I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer. Good luck with the next auctions!

--

Edward Franks