On Jan 12, 2004, at 12:04 PM, Feldhamer, Stuart wrote:

I'm not much of an RPG gamer but I loved the original Pool of Radiance and
sequels. I'd say try some of the early Ultima games; they are strong on
characters, setting, and gameplay (in general). I've played and finished
Ultimas 3 and 5. My only complaint is they get way too difficult towards the
end (especially 5). I would also recommend the Baldur's Gate series.

If you have the hard drive space and inclination there is a utility called BG1Tutu (Baldur's Gate 1 to 2) that allows you to play BG1 using the BG2 engine. I'm playing through BG1 right now using this way. The benefit is that you get the extras from BG2 (character kits, higher screen resolution, full screen mode, etc.). The downside is that you need to have both BG1 and BG2 installed at the same time. That's around 5 to 6 gigs of hard drive space. Not much when you can now buy external *terabyte* drives, but if you have an older machine or use a laptop it can be a problem. Interestingly enough there is also a Mac version of the same utility if you want to play BG1 in OS X.

--

Edward Franks