Not to toot my own horn, but you may want to try The Search for Freedom (see my sig) - it meets most of your criteria and still works in a DOS window (albeit without sound - I havent gotten it to work with VDMsound yet either but it may be possible)

So, any refinements to your suggestions? :)

To everyone: This is great fun, keep the suggestions coming!

-- ------------------------------------------------------------ Howard Feldman Author of the Search for Freedom Computer Role-Playing Game Visit its homepage at: http://deep.mshri.on.ca/people/feldman