At the most fundamental level, you're trading cash for a binary file. I've lost count of the software licenses I've purchased where all I've gotten is a license key in e-mail. I don't own the software either, only the right to use it (provided I don't break one of a dozen license terms). Doesn't sound like its much different to me (compensating someone for their work with payment so you can enjoy what they made).

Certainly that sort of breaks up if you try to compare building up a character through hours of effort to writing the software yourself through hours of effort (clearly the intention is not the same). But I suppose if you want to jumpstart your new character or you simply don't have time to play for hours on hours but still want to enjoy more advanced aspects (owning a castle, etc) it also makes sense.

To me, THIS is what's pointless:

- New PC game: $50
- Strategy Guide: $25

Now why would you spend extra cash on something just so you can beat it FASTER?!?!? Isn't the whole idea to discover everything yourself? (Note: With the Internet, strategy guides are even more pointless.) I won't even get started on how things in strategy guides today used to come in the game manual not long ago. And yeah conceivably you could apply the same arguments above to strategy guides.