Jim Leonard wrote:
>Pedro Quaresma wrote:
>>
>> Please don't get me started on Planeboring: Torment. That game should
>> never have been a RPG.

>Ah yes, Pedro, our resident RPG snob.  ;-)  If Planescape: Torment is a
>bad RPG by your standards, could you explain why?  Is it all the dialog,
>or bad structure, or what?

The game would make an excellent Adventure. It's got it all: a nice storyline, interesting characters, an unusual world, etc.

Unfortunately, all the RPG elements are dissapointing. The character progression (class/levels) isn't varied, the quests are mostly "fed-ex", the combat is imho annoying too..

So if you want a good Adventure with some annoying RPG aspects thrown in, please go ahead. If you're looking for an enjoyable RPG, I think you should look elsewhere.

>More importantly:  If I wanted a decent story wrapped in decent RPG
>gameplay that isn't unreasonably hard, what RPGs over the last 20 years
>would you recommend? No need to go into details, titles only are fine,
>but as a relative RPG newbie I'd like to play something that isn't a
>waste of my valuable time.

Ultima 6
Betrayal in Krondor
Quest for Glory 4

Wizardry 6 has a fantastic story but you might consider it unreasonably hard.

Lord of the Rings (Interplay, 1990) is based on the books and adds some extra quests and characters and odd twists...

>Here's a list of RPGs I've finished and enjoyed:

>Entire Pool of Radiance gold box series (all four games)

Perhaps you'd enjoy the other 5 gold box games too... I think Stefan Lindblom would recommend you the Dragonlance ones.

>Wizardry 1 (haven't tried 2-8)

If you've enjoyed Wizardry 1 then definitely you'd love Wizardry 6 and its excellent story.

>Fallout (haven't tried Fallout 2)

Fallout 2 is imho not as good.

>Wasteland (my #1 favorite game of all time)

>Arcanum

This is the 2nd Tim Cain game you mention, so perhaps you should try his latest game: Temple of Elemental Evil, released in 2003.

>Hack

If you liked Hack, I'm sure you'd love ADOM.

>I got through half of Lands of Lore 1 but never finished it.

That's a good game too.

>With that in mind, what would you recommend?

I have given perhaps too many suggestions :) I can be more specific if you tell me exactly what you enjoy the most on a RPG. Combat/story driven? Turn based/real time/phased/action combat? First person/3rd person perspective? Does good gfx/sound matter?

--
Pedro R. Quaresma
Salvador Caetano IMVT

Toyota Prius '01, Aqua Ice Opalescent, 37K km., "Esperanza"

ToyotaShopping - A sua Loja Toyota Online
http://www.toyota.pt