<matrix>
 <row values="1,2,3,4"/>
 <row values="4,2,5,4"/>
 <row values="1,1,3,9"/>
 <row values="9,2,3,1"/>
</matrix>

(I'm afraid I don't like erix's use of numbers as tag names - in fact,
I'm not convinced it's legal XML...)

or possibly just a string of numbers:
<matrix>
1,2,3,4,
4,2,5,4,
1,1,3,9,
9,2,3,1
</matrix>
... and leave it up to the coder how to format it - but I think this
version is too error-prone (very easy to miss off a comma, for
example).

Cheers,
  Ian