Rainer Duffner wrote:
[..]
> How does that work on IPV6 anyway?
> I read that RBLs will be dead in IPV6-land, due to the fact that the
> address-space can't be packed in a database anymore..

The person who writes that does not realize how much easier it becomes.

RBLs will simply take a scheme of:

Register in db a max of   5 spamming IPs in the database per /64,
   ""       ""    ""     50 spamming /64's per /48
   ""       ""    ""    500 spamming /48's per /32

The '5' is variable of course. Too much spam, just block the whole /32
unless they clean it up. Verrrryy easy.

Heck for that matter similar system could be employed for IPv4:

Register in db a max of  5 spamming IPs in the database per /24,
   ""       ""    ""    50 spamming /24's per ASN

Tada, block out the whole ASN when it hits the threshold. Then again,
there won't be much mail coming out of there in those cases.

Also, politically all /48's should be registered in WHOIS, which is of
course a good thing. It seems though that there is no enforcement there
and most ISPs don't care at all though.

> Currently, RBLs are an important part of our spam-defence.

You do mean as a scoring method I hope...

>> What else? Everything else we already have with ipv4, why bother buying
>> new modems, tweaking settings on my windows PC, spending hours on support
>> lines? :)
>>

> People love to do that, apparently. Why else would there exist so much
> literature around those subjects?
> ;-)

Over the last couple of years I have seen zillions of people who did
Bsc, Msc, and even PhD's on the subject of IPv6.... very few with actual
original content though...

For that matter, sometimes there are cool things (see
http://www.ipv6council.de/contest/winners.html), and from what I know
there will be a 2010 contest starting in December with some awesome
prizes, so keep an eye on: http://www.ipv6council.de/contest/
and of course don't be shy and submit something cool.

Greets,
 Jeroen