Ying,

Migrating content from DSpace to Fedora will encounter some loss of
metadata if you utilize sword for this purpose. Namely, the SWAP format
isn't going to contain all the metadata fields in your DSpace items.  You
might consider using the AIP PackageDisseminator from the commandline to
extract all the data you can from the DSpace Item.

As you know theres been underfunded efforts to integrate DSpace and Fedora
going on for a few years in the DSpace community.  What you end up deciding
on for a mapping between your DSpace Items and Fedora Objects would be of
the utmost interest to us. Likewise, I think we would have a strong
interest in seeing what your choices are for final metadata storage in your
Items.

Regards,
Mark

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Ying Jin <ying....@rice.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on our DSpace repository and trying to migrate items from
> DSpace to Fedora (we are going to use Islandora). It looks like SWORD
> might be a good approach. Here is the question from my testing
> migration -
>
> I exported an item using DSpace packager in METS format, and then use
> Fedora Sword module to import the item to Fedora.
>
> First, I used METSDSpaceSIP packaging, and the ingested item shows a
> zip file only.
> Then I tried METS packaging and only content files are uploaded.
> Obviously, it can't understand dspace mets.
>
> I think METSDSpaceSIP packaging is the right way to go but it doesn't
> seem to work properly. Is there anything I may need to setup for
> having this work?
>
> Thanks any suggestions and helps,
> Ying

> CDS@Rice University

[image: @mire Inc.]
*Mark Diggory *(Schedule a
Meeting<https://www.google.com/calendar/selfsched?sstoken=UUdDSzJzTTlOUE1mfGRlZmF1bHR8MzgwMmEwYjk1NDc1NDQ1MGI0NWViYjYzZjExZDI3Mzg>
)
*2888 Loker Avenue East, Suite 305, Carlsbad, CA. 92010*
*Esperantolaan 4, Heverlee 3001, Belgium*
http://www.atmire.com