I think the major point is: a closed product is depending on a
company. if that company decides to stop support, or do any else bad
decistion, you're finished.
With open source, you can at last do it yourself, but also (and
better) pay any other company or single developer to help you.
In a closed product, you can be stuck with bugs that company don't
want to fix (this is a real case with ms office), while in an open one
you can DIY (or get it done by someone else, same as above).