On 8 Jan 2010, at 15:09, Sid Bachtiar wrote:

> And are you talking about your real experience or you're just hypothesizing?

Real world, it's the structure we're setting up at the startup I'm currently
working at. IMHO we've spent far less, and have far superior support and
quality of product than we'd have had if we'd gone the route of taking on
additional employees - that's less financial risk and less technical risk too.

I kind of get the feeling that for a lot of people open source some has to be
the solution to everything - it's not. Sometimes, being pragmatic means using
commercial products or services. Sometimes it's worth letting somebody else do
the expensive (both in terms of money and time) R&D and reaping the rewards by
paying comparatively little for that work. If you're blinkered by open source
it can lead you into all kinds of difficulties.