On 8 Jan 2010, at 14:40, Sid Bachtiar wrote:

>>> We have our own support team to call :-)
>
>> Yes, but a salaried employee is more expensive than raising a ticket on a
>> case-by-case basis with the likes of Zend (or buying a support contract to
>> begin with)
>
> Seriously, you'd call Zend/Microsoft in the middle of the night to fix
> your server that goes bump?

Obviously, try a reboot or whatever first - the response time of even an hour
makes it worth trying basic stuff before calling them, but if it's looking like
something more serious, then yes.

Besides, with a support contract that says I can (and not get charged extra for
it) why the hell wouldn't I?

Spending 10's of thousands of dollars on a salaried employee to do that, when
Zend will already do it is crazy. Zend have employees all over the world, so it
doesn't matter what time of day it is. Can you guarantee your SysAdmin will
even wake up and answer the phone? or won't be out drinking or something else?

As I said before - risk register. Reduce the risk whenever you can (this is why
we also remove code whenever we can - less support risk, less risk of bugs
etc), this approach usually doesn't cost any extra - it's just a shift in
mentality.