On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Robert Kern <robert.k...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 15:18, flyeng4 <flye...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In [40]: 1/s
>> Out[40]: 1/s <-- Makes sense but might be 'hz'?
>
> You need to be careful with that. Hz specifically means "cycles per
> second", which is not always the same thing as 1/s. In particular,
> angular frequencies are also measured in 1/s (technically radians/s
> but radians are a ratio of distances and so are "unitless" by the
> usual logic), but they differ from Hz by a factor of 2*pi. Sadly,
> units are not the most rigorous of mathematical constructs.

I disagree, 1/s is the definition of the hertz, period (pun accidental :-).

Frequencies and angular frequencies differ by a factor 2*pi precisely
because they measure different things, so equating them is (usually)
an error, like equating meters and kilometers. The inability of
dimensional analysis to prevent such errors is a limit of scope, not
one of rigor.

Fredrik