On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:06 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been thinking about applying again, though I am not sure what the
>> project should be.
>> Are there any good algorithms that are not implemented that could make a good
>> project?  I have had Abstract Algebra and some Real Analysis courses since
>> last summer.
>>

> For me, I would like to use SymPy for teaching coding theory and/or
> cryptography but the lack of finite fields in SymPy is a draw-back.

Would it be fast enough, if it was done in Python? Or does it need to
be done in C anyway?

> What is great about SymPy (aside from its obvious mathematical
> strengths) is that it is easy to install on windows machines. which is
> very important
> where I teach. I ended up using Sage installed on a local webserver,
> but I thought about using SymPy for awhile.

Isn't it better to use the software over the web anyway?

Another bunch of ideas are related to web apps, e.g. here are some for
an inspiration:

http://live.sympy.org/
http://gamma.sympy.org/
http://empathy.sympy.org/beta/

or improving the Sage notebook or codenode, or this notebook:

http://gamma.sympy.org/nb/

so that one can use sympy (or Sage or any other python based program)
over the web easily.

Ondrej