On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:06 PM, David Joyner <wdjoy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Aaron S. Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've been thinking about applying again, though I am not sure what the
>>> project should be.
>>> Are there any good algorithms that are not implemented that could make a
>>> good
>>> project?  I have had Abstract Algebra and some Real Analysis courses since
>>> last summer.
>>>

>> For me, I would like to use SymPy for teaching coding theory and/or
>> cryptography but the lack of finite fields in SymPy is a draw-back.
>
> Would it be fast enough, if it was done in Python? Or does it need to
> be done in C anyway?

This is for teaching so a Python implementation would be great.
Also, row-reduced echelon form for a matrix over a finite field
is valuable as well.

>> What is great about SymPy (aside from its obvious mathematical
>> strengths) is that it is easy to install on windows machines. which is
>> very important
>> where I teach. I ended up using Sage installed on a local webserver,
>> but I thought about using SymPy for awhile.
>
> Isn't it better to use the software over the web anyway?

That is good, you are right. However, I really was hoping to give them
a platform where they can use the command line. Maybe this is because I love the
command line, but I think it is useful for them to be able to use the
Python interface. In fact, in our one day a week in a computer lab,
I see several students prefer using Python 3.1 over the Sage notebook
interface, when the assignment allows them to do so.

> Another bunch of ideas are related to web apps, e.g. here are some for
> an inspiration:
>
> http://live.sympy.org/
> http://gamma.sympy.org/
> http://empathy.sympy.org/beta/
>
> or improving the Sage notebook or codenode, or this notebook:
>
> http://gamma.sympy.org/nb/
>
> so that one can use sympy (or Sage or any other python based program)
> over the web easily.

I knew of some of these links but not all of them, so thatnks.
Indeed, some use Python via the Sage notebook (using the drop-down
menu).