Le vendredi 29 avril 2011 à 11:56 -0700, Ondrej Certik a écrit :
> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Brian Granger <elliso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In my mind the different mathematica *Form functions are analogous to
> > the different printers we have.  In that light, I would develop
> > TableForm and yet another printer.  Same is true of any other *Form
> > functions we want to copy from Mathematica.
>
> I am not sure I understand what your idea is, but it seems that's
> exactly how I implemented it? TableForm is an object (it's not an
> issue for me whether or not it is derived from Basic, currently it is
> from technical reasons, but this can be changed), and then I have
> enhanced the printers to be able to print TableForm nicely in all our
> output printers. Because I want to use it with ascii (in terminal), in
> latex (when I write articles, it would be so much easier to just
> create the table in sympy, instead of wrestling with latex by hand),
> html, and so on.
>
> Is there a better design for such a thing?
>
> > But I do think we want this type of functionality in sympy, especially
> > something like TreeForm (I think that is what it is called) that
> > displays a nice expression tree.
>
> Great, I agree.
>
> So here is the result of the opinions:
>
> Ronan -1
> Chris leaning towards +1
> Mateusz +1
> Ondrej +1
> Brian +1
>
> other people either don't mind or didn't have time to express their
> opinions. I aksed Aaron, but he is busy at the moment.
> So the trend is obvious.

You're mixing opinions about the feature and reviews of the patch. I'm
not against the feature, I just want to make sure that implementing it
inside sympy is needed, otherwise it will just rot, as happened for
sympy.plot.

> Let me be honest. Receiving such "-1, doesn't belong to sympy" reviews
> makes SymPy development no fun. Both me and Mateusz start to feel this
> way. And I would like to changes this.

If you don't want negative reviews, why have reviews at all?

> When I started sympy, the goal was obvious --- to create Mathematica
> like functionality in Python. In order to achieve the goal, I have
> worked extremely hard to build a community around sympy, because it is
> not possible to achieve such a goal all by myself. Since then I have
> now transferred the leadership to Aaron, so as such his opinion on
> this is crucial. However, my own goal has not changed at all.
>
> We have created patch reviews, because it improves the quality of the
> code going in and improves the community. I have no problems if people
> give -1 to my or any other code from technical reasons, that's why we
> do it. However, in order for this to work, the patch review should not
> be used to steer the project in another direction, or to stall the
> development by simply saying "-1, this doesn't belong to sympy".
> Clearly the above survey shows, that all people we asked so far say,
> that it *does* belong to sympy (the question of course is how to best
> implement it, but that's not an issue right now).

How to implement it is very much the issue. I suggested that the feature
might actually be available without changing a single line in sympy (but
having taken a better look at tablib, I guess I was wrong). The only
definite thing I said is that TableForm should not inherit from Basic.

> So if you want to steer the development of sympy, it needs to happen
> on the mailinglist, and you need to get support from people around
> sympy and so on. So in particular for this patch, if you don't want
> this in sympy Ronan, you need to start campaigning for it, because at
> the moment, your opinion is in minority. I value it however, thanks
> for being around and thanks for having it. So it is ok that you have
> an opinion like that and one of the great things about the sympy
> community is that people do have different opinions, and so we can see
> things from different angles.

Well, the pull request itself steers the development of sympy, so I
don't see how it's possible to review it without doing likewise. Anyway,
I'm glad you value everybody's opinion. That's why I expressed it, no
matter whether I end up in the minority or not.

> However, in order to move forward, if somebody with a minority opinion
> on the issue gives -1, it stops development until this is resolved. So
> I would like to ask you Ronan, if you would be willing to let this and
> similar patches go in.

A "-1" isn't a veto. I have no problem with patches I dislike going in,
provided there's been clear support for it from several reviewers.