Le vendredi 29 avril 2011 à 16:10 -0600, Aaron S. Meurer a écrit :
> On Apr 29, 2011, at 4:01 PM, Vinzent Steinberg wrote:

> > I also think it should be some kind of matrix printer. I'm not sure if
> > we need some special object to store some flags, but then we should
> > redesign our printer system to be consistent.

> > I think there are some misunderstandings. It seem that Ronan is rather
> > against the technical implementation.
>
> Well, I understood it that he was against the idea itself, especially
>  based on his first email to this thread.
>
> I'd say rather he is against implementing in SymPy, as opposed to in
>  some other library that uses SymPy.  Perhaps Ronan can clarify?

Well, I'm not sure. I think that this feature is peripheral to sympy's
core mission and, consequently, that it will hardly be properly
maintained inside sympy. So it would be better to find a suitable
upstream and to shift the maintenance burden to them. I don't know
whether tablib is suitable, but, in the long run, it seems much easier
to extend it than to reimplement it from scratch.

If it turns out that it has to be implemented inside sympy, the
difficulty is that it's essentially a new kind of object - neither a
mathematical object, nor a simple printer, because it carries additional
information. Actually though, it would fit quite well with the idea of
an intermediate printing representation I suggested a few weeks ago
[http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/b33cf5d156691786#].