Hi,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Google has invited us to participate in Google Code-In [0], which is a
> contest that runs from November 21 to January 16 for pre-university
> students aged 13-17.  I think we should participate, but only if
> enough people are willing to help.  This is a lot different from
> Google Summer of Code.  For this program, we would have to create
> several "tasks", which are then completed by the students. The tasks
> should be relatively small, independent activities.  This can include
> things like fixing documentation and writing tests, or just fixing
> some issue in the issue tracker.  See [1] for more information.
>
> Since this is a contest to complete the most tasks, we need to have a
> high turnaround rate on the review of the tasks.  According to [1],
> the rate should be no more than 36 hours per task.  This means that if
> we participate, we will have to have enough people wiling to help
> review pull requests so that we can achieve this over the entire
> coding period.  There is no specific person-to-person mentoring like
> with GSoC.  Rather, we as a community pass or fail each task.
>
> Also, we would need to come up with a list of tasks, but this would
> not be too hard.  We would just create a label in the issue tracker,
> and mark any good issues with that label, and also create new issues
> for other ideas.
>
> Finally, I want to remind that these are younger students than were in
> GSoC.  They will need more hand holding, and the quality of their work
> will be much less (and sometimes, it will have to be rejected
> outright, but remember that unlike GSoC, this is a contest).
>
> So would enough people be willing to help out with this?  GSoC
> students, this is a good chance to take your knowledge of SymPy and
> apply it to others.  I recommend everyone read through [1] to get a
> better idea about this program. If you can or can't contribute, it
> would be great if you could let me know soon, as the deadline to apply
> is November 1.  Especially for the core developers, if you think you
> won't have time to help out much, if you could let me know, that would
> be great, so I could judge our potential manpower.

Aaron, Mateusz and I are now at the Google Mentor Summit, and we all
agreed to go for it.

We can use our github pull requests for the review, so we just need to
finish our review web app (http://reviews.sympy.org/) to run tests
automatically for each pull request, and we should be just fine.

Would anyone be willing to help out with the reviews? In the
application we need to write how many mentors we have available.

Ondrej