On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Vladimir Perić <vlada.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Great!
>>
>> I have created labels in the issue tracker, CodeIn-Code,
>> CodeIn-Documentation, etc., and also CodeIn-Easy, CodeIn-Medium, and
>> CodeIn-Hard.  If people can tag issues based on
>> http://code.google.com/p/google-code-in/wiki/GCIAdminMentorInformation
>> that would be good tasks, this would be great.  We have to have at
>> least five tasks in each category to apply, and obviously we will need
>> many more if we are accepted.  Also, we should create new issues for
>> various things.  If you want to help but don't have the ability to add
>> labels to issues in the issue tracker, just let me know and I will
>> give you the access.
>
> I also think the Code-In is a great idea (I wanted to comment sooner,
> but just couldn't find the time). As I've spent a lot of time lately
> looking at the various issues, I'll try as much as I can to tag them
> appropriately (and add new issues, if required). It might be a good
> idea to consider a more thorough cleaning of the issue list now, like
> we've discussed before (Aaron). Closing old issues lowers cruft and
> might inspire people to make some more Code-In tasks (was this called
> GHOP before?).

Yes, this used to be GHOP, though apparently various technicalities
have changed since then.

>> By the way, according to people here at the mentor summit who have
>> participated before, we should not underestimate what some of these
>> students can do.  So don't be afraid to mark somewhat difficult tasks
>> for CodeIn.
>>
>> Aaron Meurer
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM, krastanov.ste...@gmail.com
>> <krastanov.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would also like to help. Hopefully I'll find the time.
>>>
>>> About the translations - I speak Bulgarian and I can probably find few
>>> people willing to help with French translations.
>>>
>>> Stefan Krastanov

> I speak Serbian (Bosnian/Croatian/Montenegrian etc) fluently and I can
> help with Czech, too.
>
> I'd also be willing to help with reviews and generally I plan to be
> around on IRC (time-permitting). In particular I can be around for
> US-centric holidays and Christmas (since our Christmas is on the 7th),
> as that webpage you linked to recommends.
>

> I also took a look at the categories of tasks we need to have, and I
> think we are going to have troubles with some:
>
>  * Translation. Disregarding the fact that between all of us, we still
> cover only a few languages, there's a question of _what_ to translate
> exactly? I think translating the tutorial is fine, but getting people
> to translate all our documentation would be a bit too much. I don't
> think it would be used much, it'd almost definitely be outdated and
> fact is, SymPy just doesn't depend so much on translations and as such
> we have no framework around it. We can translate the SymPy Live UI at
> least, though. I'm sure it's impossible but could we somehow waive
> that requirement?

This is indeed the problem. That is why we decided to just have tasks
for translating the tutorial.  The thing is, we have to have five
tasks for all eight categories.  We had some discussion about this
with Carol and some other people with Code-In experience at the mentor
summit at a session about Code-In, and we decided that this was best.
 If you can think of other good documents to translate, that would be
great, though I doubt that they will actually end up being kept up to
date after the program ends.  But anyway, I think we have enough
languages to make five tasks for now.

>  * Research. Seeing as we're talking about some pretty hardcore math
> here, I doubt the average high school student will be able to
> contribute. I'm sure we can scrounge up the 5/10 tasks required, but
> it'll be a stretch.

Apparently, we should not underestimate these students.  For example,
sqrtdenest was implemented by a GHOP student.  And quite a few high
school students know calculus and many know even more than that
(linear algebra, odes, etc.).  So I think for this category we should
find the issues that we haven't solved simply because we don't know
the best way to proceed and make tasks for them.  They can be large
scale (like the assumptions), or small scale (like maybe some
technicality in the core).  The worst case scenario is that the
students won't be able to handle them and so they won't be taken, but
the best case scenario is that we get some genius who comes up with
some novel ideas on how to do things.

> There's also the question of how many new tasks do we wish to create?
> Usually, we don't make tasks as such small "chunks" (eg. all the
> Documentation tasks about See Also Hector made -- I like them though,
> nothing against it) so I'm worried we might spam our issue tracker a
> bit if we over do it (not that it doesn't have so many open issues
> right now). Just something that crossed my mind...

First off, don't worry about spamming the issue tracker.

Actually, what you can do is create a single issue for multiple tasks,
like I did for http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=2766.
The tasks themselves go into the database in google-melange.com, but
we can run the actual review through our issue tracker/github pull
requests (Melange is just there to handle the details of the contest).
 So issues like those will be split into multiple tasks in melange.

This also means that old issues don't really matter much for this,
though we did decide to create some dummy tasks like "Fix a
CodeIn-Easy issue in the issue tracker" so that we can add new issues
after the first pool is released (this was also a suggestion from the
mentor summit).

A couple more things:

Vladimir: some of those things that we discussed on IRC earlier about
gathering statistics about the issues and other various things would
make good tasks.  I'm not entirely sure what category to put them
under right now, though.

Second, once we have at least five of each category, we need to
compile them into a wiki page, so we can put a link to it in our
application. The application is due November 1.  Ondrej, Mateusz, and
I already wrote up the responses to the other questions at the summit,
so we just need that. (p.s., Ondrej, should we put that on the wiki
like we did for
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2010-Organization-Application
?)

Aaron Meurer