Am 23.11.2011 20:08, schrieb Aaron Meurer:
I see what you mean.  To degree do you think people who do not speak
English at all will use it if only the tutorial is translated (i.e.,
the rest of the documentation is not)? We would have to have tons of
volunteers to translate *everything* and keep it translated,

GNU gettext helps with that.
Typical gettext tools will be able to cross-reference old with new English texts and present you with the best matching translation for the old text, allowing you to keep or adapt it.

> and even
then, names in the code are in English, and Python is in English.

Function names cannot be translated, nor can keywords.
However, docstrings and message texts can, and it's useful. ("Sine" and "cosine" are Latin words, and you learned them when you learned math... people expect to learn new words for mathematical functions. As long as the can read the text that explains what they are.)

That said, translating Sympy would still be a lot of work, and it would add a maintenance burden.

On the plus side, if the English messages go out of sync with the translation, gettext will simply fall back to English where it does not find a translated string.

Regards,
Jo