On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:04 AM, krastanov.ste...@gmail.com
<krastanov.ste...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of you know me as I have a few minor contributions to sympy and I
> helped a bit with GCI. I would like to know whether it is possible for
> me to apply for a GSoC project this year?
>
> About the project I have in mind: It is the tensor module. It is quite
> bare-bones at the moment. I would like to make sufficiently general to
> be useful in (for example):
> - Einstein equations in general relativity

This would be really cool. This was my very first "application" of sympy, to see
whether it can derive the Schwarzschild metric or not
(examples/advanced/relativity.py)

> - Integrating Feynman diagrams (it has to do with a tensor product of
> the space of Lorenz and the space of Dirac)

I tried to do this using brute force --- simply write the 4x4 matrices
explicitly,
multiply them out and then try to simplify the results, see
examples/advanced/qft.py

But it is a mess. I didn't figure out how to simplify this. So I think
a better approach
is to implement the "trace technology" using tensors.

Is this what you have in mind? There are packages for this in Mathematica,
so we should follow what they do.

> - nonlinear optics, linear elasticity, fluid mechanics, etc

Do you have something concrete in mind?

For example here I have derivation of Euler equations from the 4D
relativistic tensor:

http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/fluid-dynamics/general.html#perfect-fluids

it'd be nice to do this in sympy.

Anyway, any of the above would be really cool to have. These physical
projects really add value to SymPy, and typically show some deficiencies
in our simplification or manipulation.

> The first two of those will be directly useful for me.
> There is a package for Mathematica (called Ricci) that may serve as an
> example but I have just started looking at it. I've also checked the
> related issues in the issue tracker.
>
> And about eligibility for the GSoC: I am still a student (4th year
> physics in France).
>
> So if you are interested I can prepare a more in-depth presentation of
> the potential project.

You should definitely apply for GSoC as a student.

I am available to mentor projects like these.
Maybe Sean could become a mentor this year? :)

Wigner-Eckart theorem and irreducible spherical tensor operators are
also very useful. Here I
have an example how to use it to derive the formula for an integral of
three spherical
harmonics:

http://theoretical-physics.net/dev/src/math/spherical-harmonics.html#gaunt-coefficients

Ondrej