Hello,

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:06 AM, mukund <mukc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to propose a new idea of implementing linear algebra to
> add to the functionality and scope of the site .

FYI, SymPy already has a matrices module which, obviously, implements
a part of linear algebra.

> The idea is mainly to cover the concept of groups , rings , fields ,
> vectors etc using diagrammatic analysis and interactivity with user
> and to make the user familiar with these ideas as they are usually
> taught in an abstract way in general courses.
> Kindly guide me if this is an appropriate and good enough idea to
> implement ?

Note that groups, rings, and fields are not subdomains of linear
algebra.  Linear algebra is only concerned with vector spaces and
linear operators [0].

Groups, rings, and linear algebra are each a large domain in itself,
each of them is worth being a separate GSoC project.  I'd recommend
that you choose one of these domains first.  FYI, there are at least
two ongoing discussions about implementing group theoretical stuff
during GSoC: [1] and [2].

You mention diagrammatic analysis.  This is a whole other domain,
which is best generalised via a category theoretical approach.  What
exactly would like to implement in this direction?

Finally, you mention interactively familiarising the user with these
concepts.  This is, again, worth being a separate project, since it
implies quite a bit of work on deciding how to best represent
information and eventually on implementing the design.

You may consider going through [3]; your proposition combines some of
the ideas listed on that page.

Sergiu

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_algebra
[1] https://groups.google.com/d/topic/sympy/kdkOafMtCPs/discussion