I usually do a rebase or a PR when a merge conflict occurs. To do this
first fetch the latest upstream master with

git fetch origin (make sure that origin points to the upstream sympy repo
and not to your sympy repo on github.)

then do
git rebase origin/master

In the case of a merge conflict during the rebase process, git tells you
what you need to type once you have resolved the conflict.