@Stefan : For the case you mention, there's another step that converts
between coordinate systems. For the case of U and V (as you mentioned),
we'll just convert from U to V. Here are the steps:

1. We substitute for x, y, z (base scalars of U) in terms of rho, phi, z
(base scalars of V). Then, there's a conversion matrix between coordinate
systems - we apply that transformation to the vector that we got after
transformation. This gives us the vector in V.

Anyway, it was getting very difficult for me to read the obscure notation
that we are using here on this thread. So, I think that the points will be
clearer in latex.

My reply to you guys has therefore been posted here : http://mathb.in/8583

This sheet is editable and is latex enabled.