Yes, perhaps I wasn't clear. That first vector p = ax * e_A_x + ay * e_A_y
+ az * e_A_z is not the same as the vector p^{AB}, as I was assuming you
could not define position vectors in that form (ax * e_A_x + ...).
The vector p^{AB} would be something like p1 * e_A_x + p2 * e_A_y + p3 *
e_A_z. The DCM provides the rotational transformation between coordinates,
but not the translational transformation, hence the dot term. The DCM alone
is _not_ enough to transform coordinates.

Regarding chaining frame rotations: The number of matrix multiplications is
not as important as the complexity of the matrices involved in this case.
Consider the following: Going from N -> A`` -> A` -> A, using simple
rotations about the 3,2,1 axes (z, y, x) in each new frame. This equivalent
the defining the orientation with body 321 (ZYX) Euler angles. However, if
I want to look at the DCM between intermediary frame A` and frame A, it
should be relatively simple: [[1, 0 ,0], [0, cos(q3), -sin(q3)],[0,
sin(q3), cos(q3)]]. But if you get the DCM by going through the global
frame, You have to generate the entire ZYX DCM, then a YZ DCM, and multiply
them, and hope they will cancel out.
I know you have suggested using the 'fu' simplification, but I would
recommend you try it on a difficult problem, like the example Sachin
discussed above. Just make sure each frame has a different rotation type
compared to the previous one. It simply will not work after a certain
point. Here's a pastebin to get you started: http://pastebin.com/wdWy8pyn -
try going from frames[:-1] -> frames[0] -> frames[:-2], and seeing if that
can simplify... Better yet, choose a timeout value, and figure out what the
longest chain of simple rotations the can be simplified using that timeout
value is.