When Gilbert used the base scalars in the vector expression, the equation
was just the mathematical way to convert the base scalars from one frame to
another. It wasnt a position vector per say. The point was, that the
relations that you would get between the variables on the lhs and rhs are
the relationships the base scalars should show wrt each other.
About going via a global frame, though its the multiplication of only two
matrices in your cases, calculating the matrices themselves is a tough
task. For eg, in the current framework, try defining 100 frames each wrt
the former, and then find the dcm of the 98th wrt the 96th using the
current, 'tree way'..I tried doing it your way, it just gets stuck. The
issue is the time complexity in calculation and simplification. As it is,
when you store the dcm of the 100th frame wrt the first, you will need to
multiply its dcm wrt 99th with the dcm of the 99th wrt Global, and this
follows a recursive definition, which mathematically means multiplying 99
dcms.