On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Sergey Kirpichev <skirpic...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:57:02 AM UTC+4, Aaron Meurer wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of any good tools to do this?
>

> https://github.com/arthur-debert/google-code-issues-migrator
> looks as the best.

That was one that I tried that didn't work out of the box.

>> Does anyone know of other projects that have done this that I
>> can get into contact with?
>

> First, you can ask the authors of mentioned tools.
>

>> I tried three tools that I found on GitHub,
>> but none of them worked out of the box.
>

> What kind of problems you have?
>
> N.b.: I'm testing a fork of mentioned above tool:
> https://github.com/skirpichev/google-code-issues-migrator/tree/my
>
> Test import (in progress):
> https://github.com/skirpichev/issues-test1/issues?state=open

Unless I see something better, I'm thinking we'll have to just modify
the tool. This one (and its forks) seem to be the best, and they're
written in Python.

How is it going? Do you hit the GitHub rate limit? What about the
Google Code one? Let me know how long it takes total.

It looks good so far, so here is a todo list:

- Make the cookie thing work, so emails don't appear with ...

- When we do the actual import, we should create a GitHub user like
sympy-google-code-issue-import or something, so that it is clear to
people that the issue was migrated.

- We need a way to link issues forward on Google Code to their
counterparts on GitHub, since there are a lot of links to Google Code
issues in the wild.

- Make @something not become a GitHub @mention (this is done in one of
the forks of that project)

- Replace "issue 1234" with "#4567".

- Check for any other inconsistencies in the output.

- Figure out if we can mitigate the huge amount of notifications this
will produce.

- Figure out if we can block new issues or pull requests while this is
running, so that we get an unbroken range of migrated issues.

Once we do the migration, there will be some further tasks, mostly easy:

- Mark the Google Code issues as moved very clearly (this is easy to do).

- Mark the whole Google Code page as no longer used.

- Replace all links we control with their GitHub versions. Mostly this
is links in the codebase.

- Cleanup the labels. I think will be easier to do on GitHub that
Google Code, so let's do it after the migration.

- Remove all permissions from non-admins on Google Code (something I
need to do, but I'm putting it here so I don't forget).

- Cleanup issues that are still open, in the sense of cleaning up the
markup for comments (we can also clean closed issues by they are not
as important).

- Take the opportunity to close old issues that are already fixed or
are no longer relevant, or are duplicates.

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know if you want to chat about it on
IRC or Gitter. I can do it today. I won't be free tomorrow or Sunday,
and may or may not have time Saturday. After that I will be completely
free any time.