As far as I can tell, prime4commit does this automatically to every email
address in the commit metadata for every commit that is committed to SymPy.
Supposedly people donate into it and it is distributed to the contributors.
The total XPM currently "donated" into the project is 52.77, which
according to the exchange rate noted by Francesco, is about $5 USD. There
have been other similar projects, some of which have been very negatively
received (see https://github.com/tip4commit/tip4commit/issues/127).

Whether or not you take the money is up to you. I ask that you don't try to
game the system in a way that negatively affects the project (by splitting
your contributions into more commits than you would otherwise for
instance).

But most importantly, if you do want to donate money to the SymPy project,
please donate to NumFOCUS. The donate button on
http://www.sympy.org/en/donate.html will go directly to the SymPy NumFOCUS
account, which we can then use to actually support the project in
meaningful ways (for instance, we have used the money to help people attend
conferences attended by other SymPy developers).

Aaron Meurer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2BH%2B0f%3DP826LjCntoQhCOQneT-_fv%3Dkm8Biux-QoTY5iA%40mail.gmail.com.