Am 31.12.2014 um 19:45 schrieb Aaron Meurer:
As far as I can tell, prime4commit does this automatically to every email
address in the commit metadata for every commit that is committed to SymPy.

They claim they're doing that only for people that they already mailed in the past.

Supposedly people donate into it and it is distributed to the contributors.

Indeed, though they're keeping each tip until it is distributed.
Which happens at 1% per commit by default. Some people calculated that it takes ~250 commits to give out 50% of each tip, so they're going to accumulate quite some balance over time.

Their reactions to criticism sounds has displayed gross legal incompetence.
Things that might happen:
- They collect cease-and-desist letters for collecting money in the name of various entities, without having approval.
- Somebody sues them out of existence, for the same legal reason.
- They go fraudulent and embezzle the uncollected tips.
- Somebody hacks them (if their technical incompetence matches their legal incompetence).

Whatever the case, I do not think they should collect donations in our name.
THEREFORE, I SUGGEST THAT WE TELL THEM TO OPT US OUT.

The total XPM currently "donated" into the project is 52.77, which
according to the exchange rate noted by Francesco, is about $5 USD.

That's probably going to increase as tips go in, and decrease by 1% with every claimed tip.

Whether or not you take the money is up to you.

+0

> I ask that you don't try to
game the system in a way that negatively affects the project (by splitting
your contributions into more commits than you would otherwise for
instance).

+1
Though given the amounts involved, it's not very likely to happen.

But most importantly, if you do want to donate money to the SymPy project,
please donate to NumFOCUS. The donate button on
http://www.sympy.org/en/donate.html will go directly to the SymPy NumFOCUS
account, which we can then use to actually support the project in
meaningful ways (for instance, we have used the money to help people attend
conferences attended by other SymPy developers).

+1

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54A4609B.6040706%40durchholz.org.