Am 01.01.2015 um 11:29 schrieb Francesco Bonazzi:
I don't think they are collecting donations. I don't know exactly how their
mechanism works,

Not sure whom you mean by "they", Primecoin or Prime4commit (they do not seem to be connected).

Primecoin is one of the many bitcoin clones with a modified proof of work.
Prime4commit simply takes Primecoin donations and passes them on, no special mechanism involved.

> but I can suppose that some people created the primecoin
virtual currency out of nothing, which is currently being exchanged for
real currency in some way, so they did effectively "create" money.

That's not how cryptocurrency fraud works, exchange with fiat money is a zero-sum game.

With typical cryptocurrency fraud, the developers mine a substantial amount of coins for their own use before the public release, to sell these early coins off for fiat money afterwards. Since cryptocurrencies rely on market consensus, and those early coins are easily identifiable (they're publicly visible in the blockchain), this works until the market decides to not accept those early coins anymore.

> At this
point, they may be willing to advertise their currency in hope to increase
its exchange rate versus real currencies, and maybe their trying to do so
by donating small amounts to github developers.

Anyways, that's just a guessing, I have no evidence about it.

The Prime4commit guys may be working to advertise Primecoin, or they may not - available evidence is inconclusive.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/54A64545.50108%40durchholz.org.