Hi Bjorn,

I've come across the pyodesys and pyneqsys packages before (I think from
one of Sympy's wiki pages on code generation) and definitely plan to be
using them. I think the unified frontend/flexible backend approach is great
and something that is really needed here.

My trouble with Sympy so far has been that my model has a lot of
intermediate variables and so isn't represented well as a single
expression. I can flatten it into one of course, but it makes more sense to
generate code that contains multiple assignments. This is why I've been
very interested in your additions to the code generation module.

To get around current limitations I've built a class that manages a DAG of
expressions assigned to symbols and supports several optimization and
editing routines (like pulling out common sub-expressions and automatic
differentiation) that I'm using to generate function definitions. If you
think it's a good idea I could try to make a PR for it.

Best,
Jared

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CANGoWcJfBfOtLRviTrcXfAwReRm5yb7LU_pAgc_XmFU7AstLoA%40mail.gmail.com.