Hello,
I am Etaash Katiyar, a 2nd year mathematics undergraduate at the University
of Cambridge. I've been programming in python for about 5 years. A few of
the projects I've done in python are:

   - Summer project at the NLP group at the Computer Laboratory, University
   of Cambridge. I implemented algorithms to extract a certain language
   phenomena from large corpora. The project lasted 9 weeks of ~8 hours of
   programming (in python) per weekday.
   - CATAM. Undergraduate computational mathematics project at the
   University of Cambridge. Approximately 3 weeks of mathematics and
   mathematical programming.
   -  ~4 Hackathons, in each of which I've programmed in python, and won
   prizes in 3.

I am particularly interested in the implementation of logic in computers,
and computational abstract algebra.
Within my undergraduate degree, I have had courses on algebra (most
notably: "Groups, Rings, and Modules"), and I have read ahead on courses in
Logic through course notes, and the book "COmputability and Logic" by
George S. Boolos.

I've used sympy as a computer algebra system before (some calculations
involving orthogonal polynomials).

On a logistical note: I natively speak English, and will reside either in
the UK or India (GMT +5:30) for the duration of the project. My timees are
quite flexible, so I doubt the time difference could be an issue.

Having read through the ideas page, a number of projects caught my interest.

*Questions:*

   1. Are there any mentors willing to supervise a project in implementing
   symbolic logic? If so, I would appreciate it if we could enter into
   correspondence about potential projects.
      1. Do you have any references or ideas for possible projects in
         1. implementing *fuzzy/uncertain logic*
         2. implementing *normalization, rewriting, minimization of logical
         expressions*
      2. Are there any mentors willing to supervise a project in improving
   Sympy's *pattern matching abilities*? Likewise, I would appreciate it if
   we could enter into correspondence about potential projects.
      1. Do you have any references or ideas for possible projects in
      implementing *expression complexity measures *- I have seen
      Kolmogorov Complexity before, but not for algebraic expressions.

I might have misintrepreted the Ideas list, and the mentioned topics might
be too narrow in scope for GSOC. If so, please let me know: I am certainly
happy to do more programming :).

Best,
Etaash