On 15 September 2017 at 10:35, Alex Davis <ada...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> If we were more aggressive and did 52, we'd cover 87.7% of users... which
>> seems *too* aggressive but perhaps we can see if we can try to nudge
>> people to upgrade first.
>

> I'd like to make a correction. It's 92.62% of users that are 52 or higher.

That does seem aggressive, but we could also consider a nuanced approach to
phasing out support, because we have the following possibilities for what
"removing support" means:

* We stop proactively testing on versions < X, but accept and fix reported
bugs on that version
* We wont fix bugs that only affect versions < Y, but don't prevent users
from attempting to use them
* We proactively error out when we detect a login attempt with version < Z

We also have to consider whether we do the same behaviour for sync logics
(where we can be reasonably considered a part of the browser and depend on
browser-specific behaviour) and OAuth logins on the web (where we're just
another webpage, and need to worry about non-Firefox browsers as well)

  Ryan